baked mac and cheese ( w/ grilled onions and bacon)
For many people, macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. This “grown up” version is filled with bacon, onions, and packs a whole lot of flavor. This recipe would make a perfect side dish during the holidays, or can be eaten as your main entree.
- 1 box of your favorite pasta (penne, elbows, etc)
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup velveeta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- *optional: pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta as directed, drain and set aside. While pasta is cooking, fry bacon, crumble and set aside, saving half of the remaining grease in pan.
- To the pan with remaining bacon grease, add onions and cook on med-low heat until soft, add minced garlic and cook additional 3 minutes.
- To a large saucepan, add butter, mustard powder, cheddar cheese, velveeta, whipping cream, and milk and whisk until cheese is melted (you can add milk by the 1/8 cup if sauce is too thick).
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir. Add onions, parsley, salt and pepper, optional pepper flakes and half of the crumbled bacon. Pour into a large, greased casserole dish. Top the mixture with parmesan cheese and the remaining crumbled bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until edges are bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!